Sunday, June 21, 2009

Camp, Camp, Summer Camp. . .

We have been so busy this week. We went blueberry picking a week ago Saturday. We picked 18 pounds. Thanks to our friend Jenny for getting us all started on this annual tradition! We went with a couple of families from our ward and had a great time.



Of course we've had to eat lots of blueberries, with peaches, on ice cream, in muffins, on cereal and salad. . .I need to make blueberry buckle and blueberry pie. One word sums it up. YUM!

The kids were busy this week with day camps. For some reason I thought I would have all sorts of extra time on my hands to get some stuff done around the house. Ha! But I did have a terrific week, even if it was busier than the norm.

Jon participated in Cub Scout Day Camp. The theme was "Pirates of the Cubirrean." I got to go to some of the activities with Jon on the last day. They raced pirate rocket ships and had a program with the typical cub scout songs, skits and jokes at lunch.


Rebecca and Ethan went to Safety Town, a program that teaches all kinds of safety tips to early elementary age children. Kirsten cried when all the kids left on Monday to attend their day camps, but she soon dried her tears and we had a good time at home.



The kids also finished up swimming lessons this week. They have all improved their water skills and should continue to do so as the summer progresses.



On Wednesday I taught a mini class on how to decorate cakes using Marshmallow Fondant.



It was a smaller turnout than I expected, but we were able to pull in all the kids that came to play, and had them decorating cakes with the fondant. I really enjoyed teaching the class.

In the evening while everyone was swimming, I went to our local farmers' market and bought corn on the cob and one of those super delicious watermelons that are sold here during the summer. I can't wait to buy some more melons, they are so good.

Friday I spent the day as our family's chauffeur. Mike, thankfully, dropped everyone off at day camp as usual. I got the little girls ready, then we went to the library to drop off some materials. Then we went to see Jon race his rocket. We saw one of the races, but we had to leave before we could see Jon's race. At least we got to see him with his rocket at camp. Then we left and went to pick up Ethan and Rebecca from Safety Town. They learned about pet safety on their last day. I gave everyone lunch in the van, and we headed over to pick up Daddy. He was asked by our friends to take pictures of their house that is up for sale. The pictures turned out really well. It was also a great excuse to visit our friends for a little while. Thanks guys! We then dropped most of the kids off at another friend's house to play, I took Mike back to work, then headed over to the park to have lunch with Jon and see his skit. He earned a lot of belt loops and other cub scout stuff. We then headed home, picking up siblings on the way. The kids had a couple hours to play and hang out, then Daddy took them to their last day of swim lessons and I headed over to the church for Ladies Night Out. Once a month the sisters in our ward can get together at the church, to play games, eat food and visit. We didn't play games this time, but we did have a good time visiting. I was the hostess this month, which means I had to bring the food. I arrived a little early and had a nice visiting teaching visit, while we assembled s'mores as part of the refreshments. I also had a fruit salad, in a melon basket that I made, veggies, dip, cheese, turkey slices and crackers. It was really nice.

My kids were excited to eat the leftovers on our temple trip on Saturday. Saturday evening, after we got back from our excursion, we headed over to the pool and had a fun time swimming. The life guard was the only other person there. It was great.

Have a terrific week! This one will be (hypothetically speaking) low key.

3 comments:

Photo Crazy! said...

You have been busy, busy, busy! What fun things!

Jenny said...

I was just telling a friend of mine the other day about that perfect blueberry spot. The 13 different varieties, the taste-testing that is encouraged, the bushes that are bigger than an adult full of perfect, delicious berries. Mmmm, good times.

Heidi Sue the Mommy crafter said...

That's awesome about your berry picking! I am excited to one day try your amazing marshmallow fondant frosting. Hopefully next month for Marc's b-day! Love all the pictures of you kids. Hopefully by the next time I see you I will have all the names down!