We have been busy! To catch everyone up to date on our happenings, I'll be putting a bunch of slide shows up. The kids have had lots of fun playing outside. One day Ethan decided to make a guitar out of cardboard (thanks FamilyFun for giving him the idea). I helped him cut it out and tape it together, then he colored it. Of course once the girls saw what he had been up to, they also had to get in on the action, complete with dressing up and having a jam session. It was so exciting that Rebecca's tooth popped right out of her mouth!
Jon had his Pinewood Derby. I missed it because of Stake Auxiliary Training. Rebecca and Alyssa came with me to the Stake Center and Mike took the others to the Pinewood Derby. Jon's car was the fastest one in his den. Way to go Jon!
One week I did a letter R activity for preschool. The kids had some R worksheets to work on, then they made rabbit hats. For a snack they ate round red jello, raisins and rectangles (graham crackers). I read "Peter Rabbit" and some other R books. It was fun.
Grandma and Grandpa came to visit us for a few days. What a treat! Grandpa helped Ethan and Kirsten plant some seeds in some cups. The seeds have sprouted now in our kitchen window. Ethan also helped Grandpa plant some plants in our garden outside. Hurray for Spring!
I finally got pigtails in Haley's hair last week. I admit I haven't tried very hard, but she would usually run away when I wanted to fix her hair. Shanna likes watching me fix the other girls' hair and having me fix her hair. She will go and get hair rubberbands and a comb for me when we're ready. Haley could care less, although she has started playing dress up a little bit. Not to the extent that Kirsten and Shanna do, but she will put on a play skirt over her clothes and last week she let me put a bandanna around her head when Ethan dressed up as a cowboy. So cute! It was so funny to see her outside with it on. At one point it must have come off and she put it back on upside down so it was covering her face, but she had to have it on.
The popcorn trees have been blooming. We made our own "popcorn trees" and ate popcorn for a snack, then we went over to our neighbor's house and sang "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree," to her. She let us pick some of her popcorn blossoms and the kids got to run around in her yard while we visited for a little bit.
Needless to say we've been kind of busy these last few weeks. We had a nice family home evening lesson tonight, courtesy of Ruth. She said she wished she could help us out and I told her she could by preparing a lesson for us. We are adding more garden beds in our yard, so I thought a lesson on gardening would be appropriate. Thanks Ruth for the awesome FHE you sent us! Jon helped make the treat. The kids enjoyed eating the dirt and worms while we talked about gardening. The kids' favorite plants from the garden are "cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries and flowers."
Spencer W. Kimball, 12th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said in a conference report from 1976, “We encourage you to grow all the food that you feasibly can on your own property. Berry bushes, grapevines, fruit trees—plant them if your climate is right for their growth. Grow vegetables and eat them from your own yard. Even those residing in apartments … can generally grow a little food in pots and planters. Study the best methods of providing your own foods. Make your garden … neat and attractive as well as productive. If there are children in your home, involve them in the process with assigned responsibilities.”
Our friends brought us a load of gin trash last week (the leftover plants from cotton gins that are then composted). It is beautiful compost. We are going to get some more tomorrow, hence the need for more garden beds. Yea!
For those who regularly follow our blog, we apologize for the lack of posts. I thought Lois's blog entry about her son Reed getting out of bed over and over was pretty funny. She should try bedtime at our house! I got home last night, after visiting a sister in the hospital, and Mike said he must have put the twins back in bed 20 times. They were pretty much settled down by the time I got back. They would have a blast with Reed. Have a great week!
7 comments:
Thanks for all of the great pictures! I loved them all. I hope that your kids get to plant lots of fruit and flowers in one of the beds!
Looks like you have been busy but having lots of fun! Thanks for sharing pictures, it makes me feel like we are next door enjoying our neighbors!It is also motivating to start some seedlings indoors and then plant a garden in containers.
What a fun post! I loved all the pictures1 YEAH!!! The pictures of Haley with the bandana are SO cute! Glad I could help out a little bit with the gardening FHE. Those worms look somewhat real!
lol! That would definitely be interesting with two little ones trying to escape all night. Sounds like you've been keeping busy and having fun. How do you make those "dirt" desserts? They look fun!
Looks like you have been doing lots of fun stuff. How do you do it all?
I was wondering if you have a kitchen mixer and a wheat mill. We are wanting to buy one of each, but are asking around about what people like.
The dirt was made with chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs and chocolate pudding. The worms were made with fondant. If you want it to be really scrumptious, blend in some cream cheese and whipped topping with the pudding, then layer with the crumbs and garnish with gummy worms. I only used what I had on hand since it's a bit hard to get to the store these days.
Loved the post! The pics are darling. I loved the dirt and worms treat!
Post a Comment