Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Smidgeon


Alyssa has mastered walking this past month, even with Kirsten around to pull her down.


"Pioneer children ate cornmeal mush, and mush and mush and mush."
(Sing to "Pioneer Children Sang as They Walked").
To celebrate Pioneer Day, I fixed cornmeal mush for breakfast. Sticking to old time tradition, I fried up the leftovers for lunch. The kids thought the fried cornmeal mush (eaten with syrup), tasted like french toast or pancakes. They thought the pioneer kids were so lucky to eat fried cornmeal mush all the time, and wished they could too. They liked it much better than the regular mush we had for breakfast.

On my birthday we went and picked figs. I know you will all be jealous that I got a plug for the tub, among other things, for my birthday. Mike picked up takeout lunches for all of us. In the evening, after eating cake, we hit the road to visit Deb's family.

Late the following afternoon, we arrived at Deb's. We then headed over to Chuck E. Cheese's to finish my birthday celebration with pizza and games. The rest of the week was filled with trips to the park, playing, shopping, playing, swimming, and picnics. We saw Darrell and Stacie's family before heading home. We stopped at the St. Louis Temple and met Ruth and Lee there for a babysitting swap and picnic. Even with the rain, we had a great time.


After arriving home, I was called and set apart to serve as Seminary teacher in my ward. The kids also started school.


Needless to say, we are very busy. Our days are starting earlier and earlier. I tried to sleep in on Saturday, my one "free" day, and I woke up at 5 a.m. Help!!!
I just have to remember the old adage, "Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." I just need to get the early to bed part down and I'll be set. Have a great week!!!

4 comments:

andyandsteph said...

Awesome update. Sounds like you guys are busy. I love the pictures of the first day of school. I can't believe Ethan is already in school. That's awesome!!!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Great update! It was so sad to see little Ethan all ready to go off to school. I mean, he'll do great and all, but wow! Breaks my heart to think our kids are growing up so fast!!! Your kids are adorable! When I was looking at the pictures of your trip to Iowa, I saw one of the pictures and thought, wow, that sure looks like Haley. Ha ha. It was from the St. Louis trip. And it was Haley. Too funny. Thanks again for the update!!!! I miss you!

Lois said...

Loved the update! It's crazy the summer is already over. Good luck with Seminary!! Loved all the pics!

Photo Crazy! said...

Happy Belated Birthday Lena! It looks like you have been having a lot of fun. You kids are beautiful. I can't believe you baby is walking!