Monday, February 22, 2010

A Penny a Pine Cone

We had a great Family Home Evening on Monday. We learned about Captain Moroni and the Title of Liberty from the Book of Mormon. You can find the story in Alma chapter 46. After our lesson we made our own "Title of Liberty," which basically reminds the Nephites what they are fighting for. "In memory of our God, our religion, our peace, our freedom, our wives and our children." The kids drew pictures representing all of these things and put it on our own banner. Then we decorated "Title of Liberty" cookies. Alyssa really liked the frosting.


Our cousins came for a visit this weekend. We celebrated with slushes at Sonic on Friday. $3.78 for 7/van wasn't a bad price. On Saturday, after a fun breakfast of pancakes and buttermilk syrup, the kids went to work picking up pine cones in the front yard. At a penny a pine cone the kids were raking in the dough. Rebecca alone picked up 500. Grandma was nice to provide the payroll and help count all those cones. In the process she discovered what it is that she's been allergic to this last year. Yikes!



Mike and Grandpa planted 10 fruit trees for me. Yea! Too bad it will take about 5 years before we can enjoy the "fruits" of our labors. Ha, ha.

On Sunday I was a little nervous about 10 kids getting ready for church. Especially since I'm not around Sunday mornings to help anyone get ready because of a class I have to teach before church. I ended my class early and came home to find half the kids already on their way to church, (thanks Grandma and Grandpa!) and the others almost ready to go. I combed five heads, and we headed out the door. The kids were really good. We were a little snug with 10 kids and 3 adults in our row. At least the kids are small. Any bigger and we would have had to expand to two rows in the chapel.

Thanks for coming to visit! We had a blast with our cousins.

7 comments:

Lois said...

A really fun weekend. thanks for all your work, Lena and Mike!

Photo Crazy! said...

Wha great ideas! Love the cookies and pinecones!

Roger said...

She's allergic to pine? Weird.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I love the FHE too! That was great! Can I come and pick up pinecones too? That is great about the smoothies at Sonic. What a deal! Looks like you had a fun weekend with the cousins.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I really liked Alyssa's hair in a straight-up pig-tail. She is sooo cute!

Heidi Sue the Mommy crafter said...

That is a lot of pine cones! We should visit and earn money by picking up all the pine cones ;)... loved the cookies and all the pictures! What can I say... you have an amazing family!

Lois said...

Loved the update! The FHE idea is awesome! I may do that with my activity day girls!